This week has been incredibly fun with the #SundaySupper family, we have been creating retro recipes, those recipes that immediately transport us to our childhood.
Those recipes that our mothers and grandmothers cooked over and over, it brings back many memories for me personally, the worst was when my grandmother stopped cooking my favorite foods as a child.
The good news is that many of them are on the list of recipes this week and I can make them again and enjoy.
One dessert that I loved was the bread pudding, my grandmother baked it once a week because usually we had day-old bread.
My recipe is very similar to my grandmother, I made just a few changes because I think that she cooked is delicious.
So I hope you enjoy it and try it.
- 4 cups milk
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 24 sweet rolls
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of raisins
- Preheat oven at 350 F.
- Cut sweet rolls into pieces placed in a tray and bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and cool completely.
- In a bowl stir together milk, eggs, sugar, condensed milk, nutmeg and cinnamon, mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Add the bread to the mixture and let stand for 5 minutes, add the raisins, pecans and stir.
- Pour into a pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Makes 36 individual portions can be served warm or at room temperature.
|Preparation time:||25 minutes|
|Cooking time:||1 hour and 10 minutes|
|Level of the recipe:||Easy|
And if you need more inspiration to make your own retro recipe here is the list from our retro family.
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- Retro Football Party: Fondue, Deviled Chicken Wings & Lemon Chiffon by Zest Florida Foodie
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup by The Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by Yummy What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trial in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
- Tator Tot Casserole by Neighborfood
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy Foodie Stunts
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 4:00 pm PT and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Pingback: Tater Tot Casserole | Neighborfood
Pingback: She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs
Pingback: Chicken Maryland with Corn Red Pepper Pudding and Fried Bananas #SundaySupper - Vintage Kitchen
Pingback: Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux
Pingback: Chicken Pot Pie Casserole With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits | Chocolate Moosey
Pingback: Chorizo Scotch Eggs #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Pingback: Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake ~ Retro Recipes #SundaySupper! | Juanita's Cocina
Pingback: Nana’s Marinated Roast Beef | Retro #SundaySupper - Supper for a Steal
Pingback: Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce for #Sundaysupper | Masala Herb
Pingback: Pineapple Upside Down Cake for Bringing Back Retro Recipes #SundaySupper | Noshing With The Nolands
Pingback: Roasted Brussels Sprouts | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
Pingback: Coca Cola Cupcakes | Retro Recipes | The Daily Dish Recipes
Pingback: A Retro Throwback of Tuna Noodle Casserole #SundaySupper | Country Girl in the Village
Warm bread pudding is amazing!
Pingback: Grown-Up Tuna Melts for #SundaySupper - Home Cooking Memories
Love bread pudding! Grandmothers have the best recipes!
Pingback: Sunday Supper
This is a keeper, Kathya! Love the history behind the bread pudding recipe, too =)
Yum…I love bread pudding! It’s such a fabulously easy dish to make but tastes so decadent and indulgent. I love that you used sweet rolls in this recipe instead of the usual stale loaf.
Bread pudding – my husband loves it and I just recently started to like it. Since I’m such a fan of pecans I’ll have to try this one.
Hard to believe, but I’ve never made bread pudding. This on sounds pretty good!
I love a good bread pudding…it’s one of my husband’s favorite desserts! My standard is similar to yours, with raisins and nuts. Last year, I made a croissant bread pudding with white chocolate and raspberries that was really good!
My husband loves bread pudding so much and complains that I don’t make it enough, especially since it is so simple to put together. I love the addition of the pecans.
Pingback: Devils Food Cake for a Retro #SundaySupper | MarocMama
I my heavens, I LOVE bread pudding!! Yours of course, looks fantastic!!!
Nice! Bread pudding is a dessert that we tend to make in the rainy season here, its so delicious and I like the idea of reusing stale bread. I never thought of adding Nutmeg though, but it makes sense. Nutmeg relaxes one and Bread pudding is a dish that reminds one of a comfortable warming home. =)
Bread pudding is such a classic dessert – great recipe!
I’m saving this one for sure, my dad loves bread pudding
Mmmm – such a classic dessert!!! thanks for sharing
I love bread pudding and your recipe looks perfect. The pecans would add so much flavor too!
Never had bread pudding with condensed milk in it, but I´m digging some! Looks wonderful!
I love bread pudding! Yours looks so yummy!
Ohhhh, I love bread pudding!! Yours looks so wonderful!! Yum!
Ah, bread pudding! Such a simple but sultry dessert–and the addition of pecans makes it heavenly (and even more Southern). Thanks for sharing.
Pingback: Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing for #SundaySupper Retro Recipes — Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Pingback: Coca-Cola Salad Recipe for Retro #SundaySupper